Friday 21 February 2014

Pizza > Politics


I saw this picture of Manmohan Singh and Nawaz Sharif a while back in the newspaper. For the ignorant out there, Nawaz Sharif is the Prime Minister of Pakistan and Manhoman Singh is well, Manmohan Singh. They were apparently there for “TALKS”. I’ve always been a little sceptical of high-level politics and this one definitely raised an eyebrow.

Now what exactly are these talks? Are they so important that they cannot be done over the phone? Do they have to meet in person? And that too in Washington? Are they just trying to rake in Airline Miles to get a free ticket or upgrade the next time?

Does Manhoman Singh talk during the talk? I went into the garage few days ago as my bike was making a lot of noise. I was tired of being that annoying guy on the road who everyone stares and swears at. After taking one glance at the bike, the mechanic says, "The Manmohan of your bike doesn’t work anymore. That’s why it’s making a lot of noise”. Needless to say, the mechanic earned a generous tip for that one.

And during these talks are they discussing international matters? For all we know they might be arguing over whether dominos pizza in India is better than dominos pizza in Pakistan. Having said that I urge you to visit the Pakistan website and take a look at their menu- http://dominos.com.pk/menu/.  That is some creative stuff!

Anyway, when finally both Prime Ministers realise they should stop eating pizza to lose some weight, they calm down and take their regulatory handshake picture.  Why does their picture comes in the newspaper is beyond me. Why is it newsworthy? Does anyone care if they actually met? Do we need the proof? We believe you that they had their talks; we don’t need a picture for proof.  We don’t even care if they met or not. We’ll be much happier if the newspaper said, ‘they didn’t meet, spoke over the phone and saved a lot of money by avoiding the travel’.

But there is a lesson to learn out of this. Silence is golden. Follow the rule and become PRIME MINISTER of India. It is definitely harder that I imagined. I once had a challenge with a Vietnamese friend to see who can go longer without uttering a single word. With my friend being a girl and my prime minister being Manmohan Singh, the odds were comfortably in my favour. And as expected I did win the little challenge but it was quite a struggle. Kudos to Mr. Singh for being able to maintain his silence for so long.



No comments:

Post a Comment